01 December 2005

Just Pregnant!

As soon as you find out that you are pregnant and the news is confirmed, you almost drown in a sea of advices, words of wisdom and caution .... on top of it, you have the pregnancy books, which give you all information about all kinds of pregnancy. A popular book that almost everyone refers to is 'What to Expect When You Are Expecting' - its definitely a good reckoner, and covers a broad range of cases. The book is in a Q&A format, and answers most of the questions that surface in your mind. The only problem I faced with it was that it is meant for the Western audiences, and many references and practical suggestions in it are not very suitable for the Indian scenario. Although, there are Indian authors like Nootan Pandit who have attempted to bridge the gap. In my opinion, the best resource by far is the internet, which can answer any question that you may have.

Now when you have access to all those books, internet and people, an information overdose is natural. So after a month of discovering that I was pregnant, I began to feel really ill. Doc said not to take stress and to watch my diet, and my info bank said that first trimester is the most 'dangerous' and tough... what with constipation and flatulence and nausea and tiredness and mood swings and cravings ..... my mind went in a twirl, and I experienced ALL the symptoms I read about! I began to sigh without reason at any physical movement, was always tired, and constantly felt stressed about what would go wrong ... the result - I could not continue going to office, and had to apply for 'work from home' ... forget about keeping the news hush hush for the initial months, before the week was over, my entire office of some 200 people knew that I was on the family way!!!!! In all this, I think the only thing to get jinxed was my work...

One advice given to me at that time may have helped, had I been listening .... "Pregnancy, my dear, is a miracle, to be enjoyed... you are not ill, just pregnant ;-)"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course its a miracle...and beleive me u can most enjoy it in ur first pregnancy...as at this time the husband, the in-laws and the world becomes so helpful to u. U feel like on top of the world. In the second pregnancy, of course again the world is out there to help and understand including all.... but but but... the little one. The first child seems to be more demanding than any other time and remember its not that , that the baby has changed suddenly, its just that we want to slow down a bit and at that time the kids demands to play seems a little too much.The best thing my maby does to make me feel good at this time is, either he comes and say "mamma, i love u" and gives me a big kiss, or makes me lie down and pretends that he is making the liitle one in my tummy, sleep, by singing a soft lullaby. i am truly loving every moment of the second pregnancy yet again but with a "difference". :-)