01 December 2005

Fact... or fiction?

With the pregnancy a number of questions and doubts started coming to my mind... I did not know what part of my normal life I could continue living, and what would need to change. Believe me, that phase is pretty scary for a first timer, but looking back, has a number of incidents, stories, myths and experiences that all add up to make the pregnancy most memorable.

It is my atempt to try and list here some of the interesting fact vs fiction stuff that I was subject to.. would love to hear from you all what your fiction quotient has been like:

1. No papaya, no pineapple .... an aunt threw in Gauva as well, just in case ;-) So I could not have the Tropicana mixed fruit juice, no mixed fruit sundae... infact, no 'mixed', period. My mum-in-law felt that coconut was missing from the list, so no fresh coconut as well... soon I was in a state where before every bite I was looking for help... can I eat this, pleaaasssseeeee???

Btw, a visit to my gynae confirmed that this papaya, pineapple an gauva taboo is actually just a myth, once the pregnancy is confirmed, these fruits cause no harm!

2. It seems pregnancy is the time when the woman becomes weak, is easily suceptible to attacks and influence of the other world ... so.. a knief went under my mattress, I was not to go out in the dark alone, not for fear of the living, but for the fear of the not-so-living ... hey, but no superstition is ever without a solution, so, I could go in the dark and pass from under trees if I have an iron object in my hand... alas, in addition to the iron tablets that I have to consume, there is more 'iron' in my life!

2 comments:

Ekta Dokania said...

Thanks for the tip ... maybe because I am nearing the end of my first trimester now, I was actually given a mixed fruit chaat today!!! Can you believe it, after months of seperation, today I again tasted a papaya and a gauva ...

Will Hoffman said...

weoooo